Monday, November 9, 2015

WORD CLOUD with WORDLE

WORDLE


A Wordle I created on Prime Numbers 2-97

     I was excited to try my first Wordle. "Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to your own desktop to use as you wish." (www.wordle.com)

     My first thought was to create a Wordle that centralized Howard Gardener's Multiple Intelligences.  I always like to talk about this at the beginning of the year.  I tell my students that why I feel really strongly about some of my intelligences, there are definitely areas of weakness.  I then ask them to reflect on their own selves and try to identify areas of strength and weakness.

     I wanted my Wordle to have "I Have Skills" in the largest font.  From there, I wanted to include a plethora of action verbs that illustrated how we all have skills, even if it's not always linguistic or mathematical.  When I hit "Go" I was surprised how hard it was to get I Have Skills to line up horizontally.  Another surprise, was how little space all of the text I copied and pasted actually took up. It was tiny!  Dissatisfied, I was determined to start again.

    Being a math teacher, I wanted my Wordle to be not only math related, but something that was useful as well.  I thought about what math concepts would work well with Wordle and finally decided on "Prime Numbers". I decided to copy and paste "Prime Numbers" a ridiculous amount of times so it showed up largest.  From there, I did the smallest prime numbers the next amount (3,5,7,11,13,17,19...) The larger the prime number, the less I copy and pasted (71,73,79...)

Photo Source


   After hitting "Go" and changing the Format a few times, I finally settled on Wordle that you see at the top of this screen.  I was satisfied with the size of "Prime Numbers" as well as all of the examples from 2-97.  I'm happy that I have created a Wordle that is aesthetically pleasing and informational at the same time.  This Web 2.0 Tool is very user friendly, so students should have no problem creating their own. Now, if only there was a way to add audio to it...(tune in next time for Blabberize).

1 comment:

  1. One tip for you: if you want to have words "stay together" in Wordle be sure to add tildes in between them ex: I~have~skills. This tells the program to keep those words together and may help them to stand out more.

    ReplyDelete