Monday, November 9, 2015

PIKTOCHART INFOGRAPHIC

 PIKTOCHART INFOGRAPHIC

When I first saw an Infographic, I immediately thought it would be great for my math class.  The illustrations reminded me of a book I love using with my class called The Book of Perfectly Perilous Math: 24 Death-Defying Challenges for Young Mathematicians, by Sean Connolly (not James Bond).

The book has a series of stories that requires you to solve a problem to save the day.  I love how it incorporates reading into math problems.  With this in mind, I decided to create a little story involving money for my Infographic using the web tool Piktochart.  I chose the format "The Startup Way" because it could function as a timeline for my story.
I found it to be not very problematic creating a Piktochart.  I was a big fan of how easy it was to search for images/graphics and add text.  I believe that students would be able to figure out how to use this Web 2.0 tool after a bit of exposure and practice.

Next for me was writing the story.  I decided upon creating a word problem involving money.  The protagonist would go through the timeline both making and spending money, and the reader had to keep track of the balance.  To add to the difficulty level, I included events where students would have find fractions and percents of whole numbers.  At the very end, the reader would have to know how much money the protagonist has.  

1 comment:

  1. You are a storyteller at heart! This is a fantastic example, and one you can have your students create. Thanks for the book recommendation as well- I've already passed it on to my middle school teachers.

    ReplyDelete